With the support of the ICCA Consortium, Natural Justice is undertaking a legal initiative as part of the GSI’s Work Package 2. This includes the following:
- Conducting 20 national legal reviews, including in: Africa: Benin, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Namibia, Senegal, Tanzania, and Zambia; the Americas: Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Paraguay, Peru, and Suriname; and Asia: Georgia, Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Maldives, Philippines, and Viet Nam;
- Producing a review of international law; policy and jurisprudence relevant to ICCAs;
- Elaborating a resource for legislators and others about ‘legal and policy options’ for recognising and supporting ICCAs;
- Developing a number of policy briefs on ICCA-related legal and policy issues;
- Hosting policy platforms to discuss legal and policy questions and strategies; and
- Supporting in-country processes towards legal and policy capacity building and reform.
The current work is a follow up to 14 national level reviews undertaken in 2012. The coordination will be undertaken by Natural Justice, a Member of the ICCA Consortium.