The ICCA Consortium will participate in the following meetings of the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in Montreal, Canada: the 22nd meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA-22) from 2-7 July 2018; and the 2nd meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Implementation (SBI-2) from 9-13 July 2018.
The ICCA Consortium organises the following side events:
1 – The Evolution of “Inclusive Conservation”: from Durban and PoWPA to the Aichi Targets, GEF-7 and the post-2020 biodiversity framework #2478 – Thursday 2018.07.05 at 13:15 – Room C, first floor
2 – Contribution of ICCAs and Community Conservation initiatives to implementation of the CBD, Strategic Plan for Biodiversity and NBSAPs #2478 – Thursday 2018.07.05 at 13:15 – Room D, NGOs
3 – Is there a place for human rights in the CBD? Bringing environmental rights and their defenders to the fore #2437 – Wednesday 2018.07.11 at 18:15 – Room D, NGOs
The SBSTTA-22 agenda and documents can be found here.
During the SBSTTA, the ICCA Consortium will especially focus on :
- Item 6: Scientific assessment of progress towards Aichi Biodiversity Targets
- Item 7: Protected areas and other measures for enhanced conservation and management
- Item 8: Marine and coastal biodiversity
- Item 9: Biodiversity and climate change
The SBI-2 agenda and documents can be found here.
During the SBI, the ICCA Consortium will focus on:
- Item 3: Review of progress in implementation of the Convention and Strategic Plan, including progress towards the Gender Plan of Action, Aichi Target 3 (perverse incentives), and Aichi Target 18 and Plan of Action on Customary Sustainable Use
- Item 5: Mainstreaming biodiversity within and across sectors (incl. infrastructure and mining) and other strategic actions to enhance implementation
- Item 8: Resource mobilisation, including methodological guidance for assessing the contributions of IPLCs’ collective action
- Item 9: Financial mechanism (GEF)
- Item 12: Mechanisms for review of implementation, including possible peer-review mechanism
- Item 13: National reporting and assessment and review
- Item 16: Preparation for follow-up to the Strategic Plan
The provisional agenda of the ICCA Consortium can be found here.